60th Anniversary Formal Gymkhana now: Sat 27th July
The Hendra Pony Club was originally established by families associated with the racing industry in 1959 and many ponies were kept in stables throughout the Hendra/Doomben area for their children to ride at Pony Club.
There was no horse agistment at the club’s original grounds in Ure Street, Hendra as the grounds weren’t large enough to support horse grazing, but with the main runway of the Brisbane airport being moved and the original Gateway Motorway built in the mid 1980’s (now known as Southern Cross Way), the Brisbane City Council relocated the club to a large 27 acre closed landfill site at Nudgee Road, Nundah. After a number years of establishing and improving the grounds, it was made suitable for horses to agist and equestrian competitions to be held.
That ethos of hard work by members continues with infrastructure and equipment being continually improved and modernised (including most recently the construction of top class sports lighting to the main arena). The Hendra Pony Club holds strongly to its roots – being dedicated to teaching children how to care for horses and to safely ride in all disciplines of Pony Club.
There are now only 16 pony clubs in the Queensland Metropolitan Zone 1 area and we are one of only 5 pony clubs still able to offer horse agistment to children, giving city kids the chance to own a pony and ride.